Australia is known for many wonderful things – koalas and kangaroos, the Great Barrier Reef and Outback, the Sydney Opera House and “shrimp on the barbee.” But the Land Down Under also has made a name for itself as the source of the most effective, highest-quality sunscreens in the world. That is why one of Dr. Mariano Busso’s top choices for sunscreen is Blue Lizard Sunscreen, which was developed under Australia’s stringent standards for sun protection, the highest in the world.
Why Sunscreen is So Important
Here in South Florida, and anywhere else the sun shines bright and strong, protecting yourself from the harmful effects of too much sun exposure is essential. Two types of skin-damaging UV rays come from the sun: UV-A and UV-B. UV-A is not absorbed by the earth’s ozone; it damages the skin beneath the epidermis. UV-B rays cause sunburn and are only partially blocked by the ozone. Overexposure to ultraviolet rays leads to wrinkles, sun spots and, potentially, life-threatening conditions like melanoma skin cancer.
Unfortunately, many sunscreens feature only a Sun Protection Factor, also known as SPF. SPF blocks UV-B rays and prevents sunburns, but does not block UV-A rays that can damage the skin below the outermost surface.
Why Dermatologists Recommend Blue Lizard Sunscreen Products
Blue Lizard Sunscreen products, however, provide a broad range of benefits that can help protect you and your family from the sun’s negative effects. Now made in the U.S., these sunscreens continue to adhere to the most stringent Australian standards. Here are some of the many benefits of these fantastic products which have made them a popular choice for dermatologists, pediatricians, and pharmacists across the country:
- Photostable broad spectrum protection. All Blue Lizard products offer broad photostable UVA/UVB protection, protecting from UV radiation between 280–400 nanometers.
- Mineral-based. Zinc Oxide is the most effective ingredient for protecting throughout the UVA spectrum, and dermatologists recommend products with at least 5% Zinc Oxide. All Blue Lizard products have at least 6% Z-Cote Zinc Oxide. Z-Cote is a patented process of micronizing and coating Zinc Oxide to allow optimal dispersion of the mineral, resulting in an even barrier against UV rays.
- SPF 30+. Every Blue Lizard formula is SPF 30+, offering more than 30 times your skin’s natural protection against UVB rays. If applied correctly, SPF 30 is all you need.
- Water resistant. In the United States, the highest standards for water resistance are 80 minutes in still water. Blue Lizard Sunscreen goes far beyond that. Regular and Sport formulas meet the most stringent Australian standards which are 240 minutes in whirlpool water, making them over three times as water resistant.
- Sensitive ingredients. Blue Lizard has sunscreens for every type of person and skin. Whether you’re a surfer or a skin cancer survivor, their array of formulas offers products that are chemical-free, paraben-free, fragrance-free, oil-free, and propylene glycol-free.
- Patented Smart Bottle™ packaging. Patented Smart Bottle™ technology causes Blue Lizard Sunscreen bottles/lids to change color in the presence of dangerous UV rays. This serves as a friendly reminder to cover up, and a great educational tool for teaching kids about sun safety.
Dr. Busso is proud to offer the full line of Blue Lizard Sunscreen products at his Miami cosmetic dermatology practice. No matter what the season, Dr. Mariano Busso can help you keep your skin healthy. For more information on protecting your skin from the damaging effects of the sun or to book your next cosmetic dermatology appointment in Miami, contact us at 305-857-0144.