Perhaps the most frustrating skin complaint is under-eye circles and bags, in part because they are difficult to cover regularly and treatments aren’t as publicized. Contrary to popular belief, dark circles underneath the eyes don’t necessarily mean you skipped a full night’s rest. If you’re sleeping an ample eight hours or more per night, yet your skin is telling a different story, other factors are likely at play. In these cases, under-eye bags require aesthetic treatment or a lifestyle overhaul.
Consider the primary causes of dark under-eye circles:
- Heredity – Genetics play a big role in dark circles and unfortunately cannot be prevented, only treated.
- Allergies – Congestion leads to blood vessel dilation, which leads to a darker look underneath the eyes
- Sleep Deprivation – The clear short-term cause of under-eye circles is lack of sleep.
- Stress – Traumatic life events or an overwhelming schedule can cause exhaustion which showcases in your skin.
- Age – As we get older, the skin’s elasticity weakens causing wrinkles, lines and bags to become more noticeable.
- Diet – Lack of adequate nutrition can also lead to a tired look since the body is not functioning at its peak. Iron deficiency in particular affects oxygen blood flow, stifling the tissues underneath the eye.
While temporary dark circles can be relieved by getting to bed earlier, de-stressing your schedule or shifting poor eating habits, some dark circles can’t be cured at home. Dr. Busso offers lower eyelid rejuvenation and dark circles reduction procedures to his patients suffering from unsightly shadowy rings and puffy bags.
Eyelid rejuvenation is performed using a combination of Botox to lift the eyebrows, dermal fillers and platelet-rich plasma to reduce volume loss. Dr. Busso also uses ThermiRF to tighten the skin around the eyes along with laser resurfacing to restore color and complexion.
To schedule an in-person visit to discuss dark circle removal, contact Dr. Busso’s office at 305-857-0144 or schedule an appointment online.