They say that you can never have too much of a good thing. But when it comes to washing your face, they are wrong.
Keeping your skin clean and removing accumulated dirt, oil, makeup and other impurities is, of course, a good and essential thing. But over-washing your face, in terms of how often and how hard you wash, can actually damage your skin and lead to a range of problems.
Washing your face properly is all about balance. You want to remove the bad stuff while keeping the good. Your skin contains moisture and essential oils which both serve a vital purpose and are important for healthy and vibrant skin. Over-washing can dry out and reduce the amount of natural oil on your skin. Ironically, when too much oil is removed from your skin, your body’s response is to kick its natural oil production into overdrive, leaving you with oily, greasy skin that can trigger breakouts. In addition to over-washing, cleaning your face with products which contain alcohol can also contribute to increased oil production.
If you are too enthusiastic or vigorous in your face washing, you can irritate your skin. Intense scrubbing with a washcloth or other scrubbing tool can cause dryness, irritation, and rashes.
So how do you strike that important balance between keeping your face clean and keeping yourself from inadvertently damaging it? Here are five tips to help keep your face cleansing regimen in the sweet spot:
- Use a gentle cleanser. Alcohol and harsh chemicals in some cleansers can irritate your skin and are not necessary for a cleanser to be effective. Look for cleansers which are oil and fragrance-free and are water-soluble. The most effective and helpful types should be oil-free, fragrance free and water-soluble. Good cleansers usually contain natural and gentle ingredients like glycerin, shea butter, tangerine oil or chamomile.
- Use a gentle touch. Try using your hands to lather and gently scrub your face rather than using a rough washcloth or scrubbing tool.
- Use lukewarm water. Hot water can dry out your skin. Use lukewarm water to rinse the cleanser completely off of your face.
- Pat, don’t rub. When drying your face, pat with a washcloth as opposed to rubbing it around your face.
- Cleanse once a day, twice at most. If you are cleaning your face correctly, you shouldn’t need to wash it more than this, even on a rough day.
Dr. Mariano Busso Can Help You Keep Your Skin Healthy, Youthful, and Vibrant
At Dr. Mariano Busso’s leading Miami cosmetic dermatology clinic, we help patients develop and sustain healthy skin care habits that can keep them looking and feeling their best. An expert in all things skincare and aesthetics, Dr. Busso has coached physicians all over the country on his innovative techniques and quality of care. Call us today at 305-857-0144 to schedule your consultation.