Any sort of cosmetic procedure, even a simple Botox® treatment, can be initially worrisome. Your concerns regarding pain, results or side effects are totally normal. Some patients are somewhat hesitant before they undergo the procedure personally, later finding first-hand that Botox is both simple and effective at reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
Botox treatment is extremely versatile and is used to fight a wide range of aesthetic and medical discomforts. Dr. Mariano Busso uses Botox to treat fine lines and wrinkles including crow’s feet, lip wrinkles, laugh lines, neck wrinkles, glabella (between the eyes) lines and smoker lines. Botox is currently the most popular minimally-invasive cosmetic procedure in the United States, ahead of soft tissue fillers, chemical peels, laser hair removal and microdermabrasion. In 2015 alone, 6.7 million Botulinum Toxin Type A procedures were performed, up 1 percent from the year prior and a whopping 759 percent since 2000.¹
To properly prepare for your first Botox treatment and boost results, consider the following tips:
- Avoid aspirin or ibuprofen a few days prior to your injection(s). Some over-the-counter pain relievers are also blood thinners, which could increase your chances of bruising.
- Depending on your treatment area, expect the procedure to take between 10-30 minutes.
- You most likely won’t feel much pain, but discomfort levels largely depend on individual tolerance and sensitivity.
- Reactions are usually minimal. You may notice small, red bumps at the injection site immediately following treatment, but these usually subside within 30 minutes. If your skin begins to itch, burn or swell severely, contact our office right away.
- Optimal results take around two weeks to fully appear, but you’ll see a significant difference just a few days post-procedure.
- Try to be gentle with your skin after your Botox treatment. You can continue your regular skincare routine, but apply mild pressure around the treatment zone(s).
- While follow-ups are common (Botox results last between 3-4 months when administered by a licensed physician), some patients find they require fewer appointments over time. This is because botulinum type A is a relaxing agent that blocks the nerves responsible for creating wrinkles, and with regular injections, lines and creases are not as easily formed. Many patients use Botox as a wrinkle prevention strategy for this very reason.
Dr. Busso is ready and available to answer all questions and concerns at your initial appointment to make you feel as comfortable as possible. Our goal is to fully support you through your first Botox treatment and help you attain optimal, gorgeous results. If you would like to speak to our office directly about receiving Botox in Miami from a leading cosmetic dermatologist, call our office at 305-857-0144.