You’ve just treated yourself to one of life’s simple pleasures: a facial that leaves you feeling refreshed, relaxed, and beautiful. Your skin is soft, smooth, and glowing, but all of the benefits you’ve just paid a pretty penny for could be short-lived if you don’t treat your face with care after you leave the spa. Unfortunately, too many people do things that can ruin the effects of a facial the minute it’s over.
The hours right after you’re done with your trip to the spa are critical for maximizing the impact of your facial. Avoid these common post-facial mistakes:
- Don’t pick at your skin. You should never do this anyway, but your skin will be particularly sensitive right after your facial. Even though it might be tempting to pop those pesky blackheads and whiteheads, your facialist likely left them there for a reason, usually because a lesion isn’t ready to come out yet.
- Avoid heavy makeup and skin-care products. The exfoliation or extractions involved in your facial may cause redness, which in turn may cause you to reach for a heavy concealer. Don’t do it. The deep cleanse your skin just underwent opened up your pores which make them more susceptible to bacteria. Take a break from makeup for a day or so to allow the serums, creams, or peels used in your facial to be more productive.
- Don’t use harsh cleansers. As noted, your skin will be super sensitive, so avoid harsh cleansers and stick with those that are gentle and hydrating.
- No toner. Wait a day or two before applying toners, especially if they contain exfoliants or astringents or are alcohol-based, as they can cause irritation and dryness.
- Skip the sauna. During your facial, your skin will get plenty of steam. Piling on with a trip to a sauna or hot room of any kind could cause sensitivity or broken capillaries.
- Wait a bit on your workout. Try to get a workout in before your facial treatment or wait a bit afterward. Perspiration and increased heat can irritate your freshly exfoliated skin.
- Keep out of the sun. Your exfoliated skin will be more vulnerable to the sun’s harmful UV rays in the first few days after your facial. Wait before sunning yourself or engaging in other outdoor activities and make sure you use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or above when you do so.
Call Dr. Mariano Busso Today to Schedule Your Facial
At Dr. Mariano Busso’s Miami aesthetic dermatology clinic, we offer several facial options that can reduce signs of aging and improve skin conditions such as acne, dry or oily skin, and uneven texture or pigmentation. Call us today at 305-857-0144 to schedule your relaxing and reinvigorating facial treatment at our welcoming and comfortable offices.